After three cars were broken into during Friday's football game, Jacksonville police are urging caution during this week's homecoming game.
Det. Greg Compton, with the Jacksonville Police Department, said the burglary calls began coming in around 10 p.m. as the game began to wind down.
Compton said thieves broke a window on a 2008 Jeep Liberty and took a lady's purse, which contained some cash.
The second was a 2004 Toyota Sequoia, from which another lady's purse and a portable gaming system were taken.
The final call was a 2008 Jeep Patriot, which got a broken window, but thieves did not take anything from the vehicle.
“It's quite possible it is the same person, and probable that it is the same person, but right now I have no evidence to link them together other than them being in close proximity to each other and a similar method of entry,” Compton said.
Compton said he cannot remember car burglaries being a problem in years past, but with homecoming this week and an added number of people downtown, he said motorists should exhibit caution.
“Don't leave stuff in plain view,” he said. “If you have to leave it in the vehicle, leave it in the trunk. Just use some common sense.”
Compton said not to leave purses or valuables in plain view. He said thieves are especially attracted to iPhone or GPS charging cradles which sit on the dashboard. He said if they see the cradle, they might assume the device it charges is in the car as well.
“Be very mindful because there will be an increased number of folks in the downtown area, so be extra cautious,” he said. “Those same rules apply when you go to any gathering where there will be a large number of people.
Who is Robert Fox?: Does anyone really know?
Killer. Convict. Fugitive. Immigrant. Religious zealot. Separatist. Political prisoner. Patriot community hero. Patriot community dupe.Continued ...
- OPINION: On Memorial Day, remember the ones left behind
- 'I SHALL do all I can to ensure they are not forgotten'
- Man believed killed in Cherokee County trailer park blaze
- Who is Robert Fox?: Transcript of interview with Robert Fox
- Who is Robert Fox?: Does anyone really know?
- LOCAL NEWS
- Local effort to help Oklahoma tornado victims continues
- Former Christian radio station program director arrested second time in a 12 month span for drugs
- Tornado watch sparks concern; thunderstorms kill power, knock over tree limbs, wall of downtown building
- Wells man arrested on suspicion of second-degree felony sexual assault
- Welcome Home
- LOCAL SPORTS