The numbers never lie.
In two games, the Troup Tigers have amassed 547 yards on the ground in 72 carries, which means every time a Tiger runner gets his hands on the ball he has been able to gain just south of eight yards.
With numbers like that, there is little doubt why head coach Dennis Alexander's Tigers have quietly slipped out of the gate to post a 2-0 record, collecting wins over Quinlan Ford and most recently a white washing of West Rusk (40-0).
Troup has several weapons in the backfield, but thus far Seth Gipson, a 5-foot-9, 160-pound senior, has been the Tiger to fear the most — Gipson has toted the rock 16 times and has picked up 233 yards for a whopping 14.6 yards per carry.
Quarterback Blake Lynch has also proved that he can get the job done on the ground.
Lynch, a 5-foot-11, 165-pound sophomore, has 10 carries for 79 yards (7.9 yards per carry).
Senior-captain Michael Davis, 5-foot-11, 195-pounds, is yet another Tiger to look out for.
Davis, a bruising runner, has gained a total of 48 yards in eight scampers, for an average of six yards per run.
Tiger followers could have plenty to get worked up about again this week when the Maroons host a winless (0-2) Quitman outfit that has given up 87 points in ts first two games of the year, losses to Bullard and Redwater.
In two weeks, Troup should get its toughest test to date as the Tigers are slated to travel to Arp to take on their old rivals.
But for now, its run baby, run.
- Local Sports
- Texas Football magazine predicts no playoffs this year for Indians, Eagles or Panthers
- FCA Heart of Champion Bowl: Locals make last high school game one to remember
- Fight'n Indian hoopsters go 7-1 in Lufkin Summer League
- 7-on-7 Football: Indians derailed in Tyler SQT; go 1-2
- Jacksonville College Soccer Camp: Drills mirror collegiate workouts
Texas Football magazine predicts Tribe to finish 5th
Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine hit the streets Monday and Jacksonville Indian fams probably want enjoy reading the comments concerning the Indians as much quite as much as they have in years past.
- GONE FISHING WITH JERRY MILLER : Report on Lake Jacksonville
- Recent Bullard graduates Miller, Albritton receive athletic training scholarships
- College World Series: LSU to face UCLA in Sunday opener
- More Local Sports Headlines