Katelyn Standley latched onto a 1-1 offering and deposited the ball into right field, which singled in Bethany Mason from third base in the top of the seventh inning giving Troup, the No.9-ranked team in Class 2-A, a 4-3 win over Carthage on Tuesday night.
Mason reached base on a fielder' choice earlier in the inning and alertly stole second base when the entire Carthage infield chased a pop up into foul territory, leaving second base neglected.
Mason then advanced to third when the Lady Dawg catcher had trouble holding onto a pitch.
Troup's sophomore pitching ace, Josee Ross, then moved into the spotlight in the bottom half of the frame .
Ross struck out Carthage's No. 9 hitter, and then got consecutive ground-ball outs, to put the Lady Dawgs down quietly.
Ross fanned 10 in the game to collect the win as the Lady Tigers improved to 7-0-1 on the year.
The win was particularly sweet for the Troup girls as Carthage defeated the Lady Tigers twice last season.
“The girls had plenty of opportunities to just give up and let Carthage take the game away from them,” Troup head coach Sam Weeks said. “But, they choose to stick it out and fight for the victory (and) I am proud of the performance that I saw from them last night.”
Troup will be playing in the Mesquite Tournament, beginning at 4 p.m.today when the Lady Tigers take on Crandall.
The Lady Tigers are also slated to face Waxahachie, Mesquite Poteet, Mansfield Legacy and Heritage in the three-day event.
- Local Sports
- Tops in Texas Rodeo Official Results Jacksonville, Texas, May 15-18
- Maass wins all-around title in 51st Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo
- GONE FISHING WITH Jerry Miller: Targeting Bass During the Shad Spawn
- NJCAA Men's Tennis Championships: Rain puts things on hold for Jags
- Ex-Jacksonville College hoopster to become a Minnesota Golden Gopher
Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo: Meier earns 87-point rid on 'Rainbow'
The last ride of the night turned out to be the most spectacular ride of the evening Wednesday night when Austin Meier scored an 87 for his ride atop "Rainbow" in the final segment of bull riding on the opening night of the Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo.
- Brook Hill three peats as TAPPS 3A baseball champions; Pile strikes out 14
- 19-3A Softball All-District: Rusk’s Littlejohn named league MVP; Bowling, Blankinship garner superlative accolades
- More Local Sports Headlines