One big inning by Emory proved to be enough as the Rattlerz defeated the Jacksonville Hard Hitters 9-4 on Tuesday evening at the Jacksonville Athletic Complex.
The game was an elimination bracket contest in the Texas Teenage Association 10U State Softball Tournament, which will crown its champion on Friday.
Despite the Hard Hitters collecting seven hits to the Rattlerz' two, Emory used a five-run second inning to spearhead the win.
Jacksonville plated two runs in each of the second and fourth innings.
In the fourth, Priscilla Gallegos collected her second hit of the game to start things off for the Hard Hitters.
With two outs, Saylor Williams crushed a triple that scored Gallegos from third base.
Berkley McDonald then stepped into the box and forged out a single to right that brought Williams around to score.
Other members of the Hard Hitters to hit safely were, Jordyn Whitaker, Tyshera Gipson and Naomi Beale.
Torri Morris got the start in the circle for Jacksonville and worked well into the second frame before Whitaker came on in relief.
Morris struck out one while Whitaker fanned five.
J'ville Bubble Gum Babes win; Bullard eliminated
In other action Tuesday involving local teams, the Jacksonville Bubble Gum Babes beat the Mineola Tornadoes to stay alive — the Bubble Gum Babes were slated to face Florence The Unknown on Wednesday night.
Unfortunately, the Bullard Lady Panthers were not so fortunate.
Bullard saw its season come to an end with a Tuesday afternoon loss to a tough Edgewood Heat squad.
Blooming Grove, West Arbonne, Thorndale and Whitney remain undefeated
Four teams — the Blooming Grove Xtreme, West Arbonne, Thorndale and the Whitney Lady Cats kept their dockets perfect after the second day of play.
Blooming Grove prevailed over the Milford Lady Bulldogs, West Arbonne took care of the Hot Stix of Grapeland, Thorndale got past Florence The Unknown and Whitney's Lady Cats beat Rogers.
All of those games took place in winner's bracket play.
- Local Sports
- Texas Football magazine predicts no playoffs this year for Indians, Eagles or Panthers
- FCA Heart of Champion Bowl: Locals make last high school game one to remember
- Fight'n Indian hoopsters go 7-1 in Lufkin Summer League
- 7-on-7 Football: Indians derailed in Tyler SQT; go 1-2
- Jacksonville College Soccer Camp: Drills mirror collegiate workouts
Texas Football magazine predicts Tribe to finish 5th
Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine hit the streets Monday and Jacksonville Indian fams probably want enjoy reading the comments concerning the Indians as much quite as much as they have in years past.
- GONE FISHING WITH JERRY MILLER : Report on Lake Jacksonville
- Recent Bullard graduates Miller, Albritton receive athletic training scholarships
- College World Series: LSU to face UCLA in Sunday opener
- More Local Sports Headlines