Ricky Russell of Jacksonville still vividly remembers Allie Chandler as quite an athlete and as one of the fastest kids around.
That recollection is from about 15 years ago when Chandler was first getting started in athletics by playing on Russell's summer T-ball team.
Chandler, who is now a senior at the University of Arkansas, has put her speed and athleticism to good use.
So good, in fact, that she is the leading scorer on the University of Arkansas women's soccer team.
Chandler has punched in four goals and has taken 36 shots — both team bests — for a Razorback unit that is 7-8-1 (4-5-1 in the SEC).
In addition, the senior forward has scored two game-winning goals for the Razorbacks and has an assist this season.
As one of two seniors on the club, Chandler, the daughter of Rodney Chandler and Shelley Carr and who, according to Russell, still has relatives in the area, played in her last home match over the weekend as the Razorbacks edged Auburn, 1-0.
The victory was especially sweet, given the fact that it was the Razorbacks' first victory over Auburn in 12 years.
Chandler grew up in Jacksonville as a small child before moving to the Metroplex following the first grade.
She was a three-time first-team all-district choice at Poteet High School in Mesquite before becoming a Razorback.
- Local Sports
- Tops in Texas Rodeo Official Results Jacksonville, Texas, May 15-18
- Maass wins all-around title in 51st Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo
- GONE FISHING WITH Jerry Miller: Targeting Bass During the Shad Spawn
- NJCAA Men's Tennis Championships: Rain puts things on hold for Jags
- Ex-Jacksonville College hoopster to become a Minnesota Golden Gopher
Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo: Meier earns 87-point rid on 'Rainbow'
The last ride of the night turned out to be the most spectacular ride of the evening Wednesday night when Austin Meier scored an 87 for his ride atop "Rainbow" in the final segment of bull riding on the opening night of the Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo.
- Brook Hill three peats as TAPPS 3A baseball champions; Pile strikes out 14
- 19-3A Softball All-District: Rusk’s Littlejohn named league MVP; Bowling, Blankinship garner superlative accolades
- More Local Sports Headlines