Despite having just completed its first fall season in school history, the Jacksonville College men's tennis team was awarded a No. 25 ranking in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) National Junior College Poll, which was released on Thursday.
The Jaguars finished the fall season with a perfect 3-0 record in dual match play.
“For a brand new program to achieve a national ranking in its first year of play is a very rewarding thing,” Jacksonville College head tennis coach Kenneth Michaud said. “We did go 3-0 in the fall, but we really haven't proven anything, but it is a real eye opener to just be included on a list with the best of the best in the world of men's junior college tennis.”
Michaud said that the keys to his unit's early success has been the fine character of the young men that have joined the joined the team.
“This ranking is a testament to our men who decided to sign on with our brand-new program,” he said. “It's a reward of sort for all of their hard work and for buying into the program and what we are trying to do here at Jacksonville College.”
Collin College (formally Collin County Community College in Plano) occupied the top spot in the poll, followed by Tyler Junior College, Georgia Perimeter,Vincennes (Ind.) University and Seminole (Okla.) State.
Completing the top 10 were, Cowley (Kan.) County, Laredo Community College, Johnson (Kan.) County, ABAC and Temple College.
Michaud said that he expects his recruiting efforts to get a significant boost from the ranking.
“I think when we go into the homes of the kids that we are recruiting and show them that we have already begun to receive national recognition after just one semester, people will see that we are serious about tennis at Jacksonville College and that our program is already relevant nationally,” he said. “This could turn out to be a big selling point for our program.”
- Local Sports
- Tops in Texas Rodeo Official Results Jacksonville, Texas, May 15-18
- Maass wins all-around title in 51st Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo
- GONE FISHING WITH Jerry Miller: Targeting Bass During the Shad Spawn
- NJCAA Men's Tennis Championships: Rain puts things on hold for Jags
- Ex-Jacksonville College hoopster to become a Minnesota Golden Gopher
Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo: Meier earns 87-point rid on 'Rainbow'
The last ride of the night turned out to be the most spectacular ride of the evening Wednesday night when Austin Meier scored an 87 for his ride atop "Rainbow" in the final segment of bull riding on the opening night of the Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo.
- Brook Hill three peats as TAPPS 3A baseball champions; Pile strikes out 14
- 19-3A Softball All-District: Rusk’s Littlejohn named league MVP; Bowling, Blankinship garner superlative accolades
- More Local Sports Headlines