Retired Army Major General John Furlow of Whitehouse is the featured speaker of this year's Confederate Heroes Day banquet held from 6-8 p.m. Jan. 19 at Lupe's Restaurant.
The event, sponsored by The Sons of Confed-erate Veterans – Joseph L. Hogg Camp #972 in Rusk, also recognizes the sesquicentennial anniversary of the U.S. Civil War.
Gen. Furlow will discuss the “Tenth Texas Dismounted Cavalry, CSA,” organized during the latter half of 1861 and comprised of members from Cherokee, Smith, Wood, Upshur, Rusk, Shelby, Panola and Van Zandt Counties, according to the Texas State Historical Assoc-iation's “The Handbook of Texas Online.”
The event is open to the public, with a $5 admission that does not include dinner.
For more information, contact Commander James Campbell at 903-894-6727.
- Local News
- Keep safe during a tornado
- Gutted Yum-Yums building should be torn down ‘soon’
- Gardening project will delight nursing home residents
- Coming Saturday: House Of Israel: Who is Robert Fox? Can Richard McLaren tell us?
- Pasadena motorist dies in Cherokee County early Saturday
- JEDCO can spend up to $1.1 million to help company expand, create more local jobs
- Alto health initiative hopes to morph into a regional clinic
- Rep. Travis Clardy's Capitol update
- Senator Nichols: My five cents
- Tops In Texas PRCA Rodeo set for final performance tonight
- More Local News Headlines