By Marivel Resendiz
Amongst all the changes happening at Jacksonville College, school officials will also be presenting a new college logo to the students in the fall.
The new design has been unveiled to future students at new student registration, and the new logo is now appearing on student accessories.
"We just kicked off the new logo this summer," President Dr. Mike Smith said. "With all the changes we also wanted something that would communicate our faith-based Christian college."
Smith said the school seal would remain the same and only the logo is changing.
David Heflin, public relations officer, said when Smith became president last year, he met with each faculty member individually on ideas they had for the college.
"I don't know if that is what kicked off the idea, but I became chairman of the logo committee," he said.
The committee was compromised of officials from the admissions, business, digital media departments and more.
"It was a good mix, and we all wanted the logo to portray the same message," he said.
The new logo has a letter "J" and "C" for the initials of the school and a cross symbol to represent its Christian faith.
"On the old symbol it had a star that could of represented the birth of Jesus, but we wanted a clearer symbol of faith," Heflin said.
The college establishment date and location is also included in the logo.
"We wanted to say where and who we are," he said. "There are two colleges in Jacksonville and it can be confusing."
Because the city Jacksonville is also located in Florida, Heflin said students in Florida often email him about classes thinking the college is located on Florida.
"On the right of the symbol it says Texas so if anyone were to see it, we won't be mistaken for Florida," he said.
By Marivel Resendiz
- Local News
- Mayoral run-off results now legal, official
- Weekend accident claims life of Rusk city employee
FATHER OF INVENTION: New hospital gown prevents exposure
See a need. Fill a need. That’s exactly what Jacksonville resident Ferlin Blood did by inventing a new hospital gown to help patients in hospitals and nursing homes.
- BUSINESS CONFIDENTIAL: Training, new hires, anniversaries make up this week’s column
- Dad on Purpose: Helping men become stronger parents
- Veterans’ peer program offers healing, support
- Local city, school district call Monday meetings
- Senator Nichols: My five cents
- Jville Farmers Market shopping new site
- VBS: Summer Bible-based programs delight, teach school-age children of all faiths, beliefs
- More Local News Headlines